Cricket Club


It was reported in the Newmarket Journal on 19 June 1886 that the club had been formed, with the following officials:


President - Reverend K W Venner 

Vice President - Mr E Martin 

Secretary - Mr H Dennis 

Treasurer - Mr J Dalzell 

Patron - Rt Hon Lord Cardross

The first game was played on Whit Monday between 24 club members. During the season 4 other games were played - 3 against Burwell and one against Chippenham. 1887 there were 5 games - 2 against Burwell one each against Chippenham, Swaffham Prior and the 'nonedescripts'.

From 1888 - 1903 

Games were played in a variety of fields lent by local patrons and usually ended up with 'hearty meals' and 'convivial sing songs'.

1904

The club moved to Exning Park, where it has remained for 96 years, and are indebted to the Gibson family for allowing them to use such attractive setting for their activities.

By the early 1930's 

The club was playing up to 20 matches - all friendlies, there was no league cricket in this area.

Well known local names such as Barsby and King appeared on the fixture card and the Secretary at this time was Frank Tomlinson. He formed a team known as the Tomtits, and a match is still played in his memory on the last Sunday of the season.

1946

Cricket resumed after the Second World War with a full list of fixtures for both 1st X1 and 2nd X1.

1951

Regular Sunday matches started with stalwart names such as Ken Daniel, Cliff Nicholls, Bob Cooley, John King, Derek Barsby and Brian Moon making their first entrance in various capacities on the fixture cards in the 1950's.

1970

League cricket commenced with the club joining the Suffolk league, of which they have been a member to the present day.

Over the Years 

The club has grown and attracted players from outside the area and in 1999 had its most successful season ever, winning the Jaygate Homes Two Counties Cricket Championship Division 1; The Suffolk Premier Cricket League; Premier Division (for the 3rd year running); The Suffolk Cup (for the 2nd year running) and The Gibson Cup.

Many international cricketers have played at Exning in the past in the All Star math - the first one in 1957, arranged by Mr and Mrs Stanhope-Joel whilst back in England for a short while from South Africa. The teams on this occasion included Sir Len Hutton, Godfrey Evans, Frank Tyson, John Warr and Alan Moss. Colin Ingleby-MacKenzie, West Indian Roy Marshall and Dennis Atkinson, Australian George Tribe and Exning's own Ken Daniel. The attendance of the match on July 28 1957 was around 5000, with people coming from as far away as Blackpool.

Other well know internationals to play at Exning include such celebrities as Ted Dexter, M J K Smith, Dennis Compton, Garfield Sobers, Peter Nay and Colin Milburn.

The last 'All Star' Match was played in 1973.

Source - Newmarket Journal A W Catley Esq - Secretary Exning Cricket Club 

R E Bye - 22 Villagers Co-ordinator, Exning ©2000


A Forest Heath District Council (Suffolk) Project supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund as part of the Millennium Festival ©2000 Designed by ArtAtac


This page was part of “22 Villages -- A Forest Heath District Council (Suffolk) Project supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund as part of the Millennium Festival ©2000 Designed by ArtAtac. The website disappeared in the mid 2000s but is re-established here from a disc provided by FHDC. Much of the input was provided by Richard Bye of Exning.   Additional links may have been provided.

Exning.Net is a website developed by residents of Exning Village

All information and photographs are ©LAPOLLO Systems unless otherwise attributed.    Comments & Queries to info@exning.net

Return to Exning.net